Sunday, February 1, 2009

LIVING IN DUGWAY

People that live in Salt Lake City or on the outskirts of SLC are always asking me what it is like living in Dugway. They have no clue. If you ever Google Earth Dugway, you will see that there is absolutely nothing for miles leading to the base. It doesn't show the new gated system they have now put up.

We have lived here going on thirteen years.Our children were just in elementary and middle school when we moved here.Now they have all graduated,got jobs, and moved out.
The day we moved to Dugway,we were busy all day long moving and cleaning into our new home. The children were ecstatic that they all had their own bedroom! Rushing around,planning on where they were going to put things.
Finally it became late when I told my hubby we should go eat. Now this has to be like out of some weird King Novel or something, because all day long we hardly saw any people. We went to the Community Club to get a hamburger. It was only 7:00 pm,it had to be open,right? Wrong! It closed at 5:00pm!"Why?"I wondered. Hmm. Maybe there was something TO this not seeing anyone all day. We found the bowling alley, which was just down the road (everything in Dugway is just down the road.)and there were no cars there. We got out and read the door, it was closed on Saturday's because the Community Club was open! I guess they didn't have enough people on Dugway to run both operations.

We went back to the Gas Station/Shoppette where they had a shriveled up weinie rolling around on one of those weinie cooker's,hoping the might have some type of something in there we could put in the oven. But it was past 7:00 now, and the Shoppette,of course, had closed! "There was probably some lone shriveled up weinie laying in the garbage!" I thought.

Finally I went across the street, where there were lights on, and introduced myself to the neighbor. I asked her if there were any other places on Dugway I have missed. She shook her head "no" and asked me in. She handed me a bunch of cinnamon rolls that were on her drainboard. She had just done dishes and cleaned everything up, and there is never leftovers, she apologized. I reassured her I wasn't there for food, just information. I thanked her for the cinnamon rolls and took them home to share with my 'troop'.

Getting used to Dugway was quite hard at first. But you got the hang of it you loved seeing all the wild animals, such as deer, antelope, hawks, eagles, owls, ravens,and squirrels. At night the sky reaches out and grabs your breath and takes it away by the heavenly sight of the stars. Each one seems as because as a diamond in a ring, and they glow! There is no pollution out here. It is like what people think all of Earth should look like. When it snows, the snow freezes to little pieces of the trees and sparkles a clean, white, crystal, undisturbed. When the power goes out here, you cannot see anything. Not even your hand in front of your face.

After you have been here a couple of monthes-a couple of years you hate Dugway. Too many restrictions,nothing to do, no malls and massive amounts of people, but if you make it past the first part, and you get out, meet people,get a job, you don't care that you live 70 minutes from the largest major city. Unless of course, you are a teenager or young adult. Then you need consolation of people your own age, with less military restrictions.

6 comments:

  1. SSSSSSHHHHHHH they'll all wanna live here if you keep making it sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 20-25 minute drive to Castle Rock to get food. We had a blizzard that shut down the highway from Denver to New Mexico and I was stuck in the hospital overnight for two days! I have a thirty minute drive to the malls! Feeling sorry for me yet? I didn't think so. I wouldn't either if I were you. We have the deer, the elk, the squirrels, the bunnies, the blue jays, mountains all around us and clean air and water. But also have STORES! A major necessity for me! Have fun in Dugway! I guess you are very good at it after, what did you say, 13 or 14 years? Tami

    This is Aubrey here with me Muta and feeling sorry for myself because I think I beat everyone. In the past 4 and a half years I have not lived near a city of more than 60,000 people. The last in Texas was 45 minutes away, and the current city of that size is 2 and a half hours away. I live in a city of 2,000 people, we have one grocery store, and in the winter the town shuts down for lack of tourism. Because we are at the tip of the world and cut off from it by a very large a beautiful bridge you must pay the troll to cross, we are cut off from the rest of the world if the winds ever reach high velocity, because they shut the bridge down. Over that bridge is the Wal-mart that takes 25 minutes to drive to, and the Wal-mart is it. Sure sure trees, birds, clean air, I would give it all up for a little pollution and traffic jams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave told me to remind you all we have one thing worse than all of you, which you can't top. GUARDS! And some people that even having minor speeding violations will not be allowed on Dugway. If someone has defaulted on a loan, they will go to jail. Really top security!
    Oh, and Aubrey...Tawny used to live in Big Sandy, Texas. In The Gladewater area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha Coke,
    When I read your Blog It Reminded me of Hawaii Minus the Snow and Cold Every day I see wildLife, hawks, carninals, gecko ravens, and mongoose. Our night skies take your breath away The ONLY Place we get Snow here is On Top of Mauna Kea a dormant volcano on the island of Hawaii. Standing 4,207 m (13,802 ft) above sea level, its peak is the highest point in the state of Hawaii. We Have no Street Lights where we live so unless the Moon is Out it is pitch black can't see a thing
    BTW I don't miss the Snow and Cold I could'nt resist writting on Your Blog
    Sylvia (Class of 74)
    email me @ silverskitter50@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete